PostScripts from Blessing

The official blog of author Lauraine Snelling and the fictional town of Blessing, North Dakota

December 21, 1902 - A Note from Ingeborg

Ah, my dear friends,

I had thought to have this finished last week, but somehow the days slipped away. It has been very cold here in Blessing, making us thankful that Haakan and Lars were forward thinking enough to fill the walls of our houses with sawdust to help keep out the North wind that blows so fiercely. Right now as I look out my kitchen window, the snow is so bright with diamonds cast by the sun, I cannot look for long without rubbing my eyes.

But we are warm and snug here. Astrid is hurrying to finish a pair of mittens she is knitting for her Pa so I have to warn her if I see him coming. I love all the secrets of Christmas as we each make the presents we will give on Christmas Day. Most of them are already under the tree that the men went east into Minnesota to cut in the woods. They took the sledge with four up and brought back trees for all those from Blessing who wanted them. The stack was head high and the horses seemed to be having fun trotting back home with their harness bells jingling and people laughing.

Ah, how I love Christmas. So far we have made lefse, krumkake, fattigman, doughnuts, gingerbread cookies, and today we will heat the kettle of lard up again to make rosettes. I sprinkle powdered sugar over them to make the light designs even more lovely.

As Thorliff reminded me, this might be the last Christmas we are all together for Astrid might not be able to leave her nurse's training next December to come home. I force myself to do as Paul says in his epistles, to take every thought captive to the will of God. I know my heavenly Father doesn’t want me worrying about next year, but instead to be rejoicing in this year, this day, this hour. Sometimes this has to be a minute by minute thing, this not worrying.

So, today, right now, I remind myself to be thankful in all things. Today is easier than some with the good smells of julekake, my Christmas bread, coming from the oven, along with a kettle of apple cider I have heated with cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and my secret ingredient, a bit of allspice and honey. The fragrance is enough to make one drool.

We won't light the candles we’ve clipped to the branches of our tree, we had a candle dipping party two days ago and the young people gathered here to make popcorn balls last night. I laughed so hard when they were pulling taffy and teasing each other about being the best pullers.

Thorliff has again written the program for the children to present tomorrow night at the church. There is a surprise of some kind for he would not let me read the script. I rejoice every year when we sing the song we wrote those many years ago for one of our first programs. Ah, the memories. Christmas is such a good time for remembering how much God has blessed us. I wish that for each of you. Remember His goodness and rejoice in the gift of our savior who is Christ the Lord.

God Jule to each and everyone of you.

With love and joy,

Ingeborg.