PostScripts from Blessing

The official blog of author Lauraine Snelling and the fictional town of Blessing, North Dakota

December 21,1905 Myrah and the Messiah, Part 4

Myra and the Messiah, Part 4
Taryn G, 17
The sound of a baby crying was heard distinctly a couple hours later. As Myra's mother went back to the inn to help the guests and finish cleaning for the night, Myra stayed and talked with the new mother.
"My name is Myra. I forgot to tell you that earlier. Your baby is beautiful. What are you going to name him?"
"My name is Mary and this is my husband Joseph. This baby has already been named 'Jesus' by an angel that came and visited me."
"An angel?" Myra interrupted, "Weren't you frightened?"
"I was very frightened, but the angel told me not to be. He said that I would give birth to a son and that I was to give Him the name Jesus. Joseph and I weren't married yet, so he was going to break off the engagement because of my pregnancy."
So Mary had been humiliated too. Yet she did not seem bitter.
Mary continued, interrupting Myra's thoughts, "However, an angel appeared to him also and told him about the purpose of my child. Myra, this baby boy is special and has a very special purpose. He is the Messiah, the Son of God."
Myra was stunned. In all the times she'd imagined the Messiah; it had never been as a tiny baby nestled in his mother's arms. Rather, he would be a strong soldier with a big sword, surrounded by troops, to drive out the Romans. Many times, she had thought of Him in that way. But this? She couldn't believe it. The Messiah was born right before her eyes. How was this little baby going to defeat their oppressors? Danya had been right! "You said that Jesus has a special purpose. What is it? It is conquering the Romans, right?"
"No. I am not exactly sure, but the angel told me that He was going to save us from our sins," explained Mary.
Their sins? Myra felt disappointment trickle down her neck. What were their sins compared to the oppression of Rome? Myra asked, "Everyone? And He isn't going to fight the Romans?"
"I am not sure to the first question. However, no is the answer to the second. Jesus is going to bring peace, not war."
Her initial joy plunged back into the bitterness that gripped her daily. Myra muttered, "Then, my situation will never change." She felt that her grief and loneliness would never go away.
"What did you say?" questioned Mary. She was looking tired again. The baby squirmed a bit. A soft smile pulled itself across Myra's face as she watched Him.
"I said my situation will never change. Years ago, a Roman soldier was severely hurt and was separated from his group of men. He made his way to Bethlehem. Instead of turning him back into the city streets, where nameless crowds would punish him and he would never be heard from again, my father graciously bathed him and nursed him back to health. He even packed food and gave money for the soldier's return journey to his regiment." Myra recalled it as though it were today.
Mary shook her head. "Your father is a wonderful man."
"Was," Myra said bitterly. "The people of Bethlehem hated my father for his kindness to the enemy and ignored me and my family. A couple weeks after the soldier left, my father fell ill. We asked for the doctor to come tend my father, but he refused and called us traitors. By that time, my father was growing worse and he died a couple days later. They killed him! All because of that dumb Roman soldier. Father should've just left the Roman to die in the streets. I despise the Romans for their control over us, and resent the people of Bethlehem for their hateful distain. I wish that the Romans would just leave us alone," Myra explained angrily.
"I am so sorry to hear about your father. I have felt angry and hurt, because of what people are saying about me. But Joseph helped me to understand that forgiving them would relieve me of my anger. Now, their insults are easier to ignore."
Myra wasn't sure she could do as Mary had. There had been too much hurt, too many days longing to hear her dad's cheerful voice calling her name. Just at that time, Myra heard a noise. As she peered into the darkness, Myra spotted sheep and they were milling into the stable. What were sheep doing in town? Myra thought.
All of a sudden, a voice cried, "Myra, the Messiah is here, at your stable!"
Danya was right beside Myra in an instant, followed quickly by Jonathan. Once Myra overcame her surprise, she led them, their father and the other shepherds, into the small stable. As they gathered around the newborn cradled in Mary's arms, Myra asked Danya how they knew about Jesus.
"While we were in the fields with the sheep, angels came and told us the good news and we followed the star above the stable. Isn't it wonderful? It is incredible that He was born here."
Silent, Myra pondered over the miraculous events of the past day. Mary motioned for Myra to come beside her. After Myra settled onto the hay, Jesus was placed gently into her arms. As Myra cuddled the tiny infant, she felt all the anger, hurt, and resentment melt away. She would choose to believe that this Messiah could change things. Everything Danya had said over the last few months fell into place and made sense. Myra did not have the answer to her problems, but she realized that she was holding the answer.
Myra knew she would never forget that special night. She would tell her children and they would tell theirs and so it would continue through the ages.

Taryn, 17, is home schooled and lives in Utah with her parents, younger brother, and Golden Retriever. A junior in high school, Taryn hopes to become a nurse and work in a hospital, do medical research or major in mathematics. When she's not attending college or doing endless homework, she swims for the local public high school. She enjoys skiing, rock climbing, hiking, and camping with her family and friends.One of her favorite pastimes is reading books, in which she enjoys historical fiction or mystery the best.